Preschool is available at all 5 elementary schools and serves children 3- and 4-years of age. Eligibility for preschool is determined based upon the following qualifications:
- Four years old on or before August 1 and qualify by income based on State guidelines (see form to the right); or
- Four years old with an identified disability or speech delay; or
- Three years old with an identified disability or speech delay
To apply for the program, screenings are held two times a year, usually in August and March. At the screening, each child is screened in each of the 5 developmental areas (e.g., communication, motor, cognitive, adaptive, and personal-social). Once a suspected disability has been noted, your child will need to attend our intervention program for a prescribed length of time. During this period, the preschool teacher, instructional assistants, and therapist will work with your child to determine if certain strategies or programs may be of benefit for your child. If after the intervention period no progress is noted, your child may be referred for a full evaluation. This full evaluation is used by the Admission and Release Committee (ARC) to make a determination for placement in the preschool program.
If your child does qualify for preschool, the following items are required:
- Copy of your child's certified birth certificate
- Current Kentucky immunization certificate
- Physical exam
- Vision exam
- Proof of residency
If you have any further questions regarding Logan County's Preschool Program, please contact the Director of Special Education & Preschool, Shannon Batchelor or the Preschool Family Facilitator, Jane Wilkins, at 270.726.2436.